Patient Information

Frequently Asked Questions (Patient):

Below you will find patient regsitration information:

Who may register with the marijuana registry?

The Act creating the Marijuana Registry was designed to protect certain seriously ill and terminally ill patients from state criminal penalties for using marijuana to relieve the symptoms or effects of their debilitating medical condition. Only people with a debilitating medical condition may use marijuana. A “Debilitating medical condition” means:

  • cancer, acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS), positive status for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), multiple sclerosis (MS), or the treatment of these conditions if the disease or the treatment results in severe, persistent, and intractable symptoms; or
  • a disease, medical condition, or its treatment that is chronic, debilitating and produces severe, persistent, and one or more of the following intractable symptoms: cachexia or wasting syndrome, severe pain or nausea or seizures.

The Act also allows a “caregiver” to register and receive the same criminal protections as the registered patient. However, the caregiver is not entitled to use marijuana.

How do I register as a patient with the Vermont Medical Marijuana Registry?

In order to become a “registered patient” with the Vermont Marijuana Registry you must complete the application that is attached or appears at the end of this document if you are reading it on the Registry web site. If you are reading this document on the Registry web site you may download the form in Word and enter the required information on your computer or print a copy of the form. Paper copies of the form may be completed with a typewriter or by hand. The form must be completed in ink.You will be responsible for completing most of the form. However, part of the form will need to be completed by your health care provider. Your health care provider must be licensed to practice in Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts or New York in order to complete the form.After all sections of the form are completed you will need to have it notarized. You are also required to provide a digital photograph of yourself for your Marijuana Registry Identification Card. Mail the completed form (faxes are not acceptable) along with the other required items to the Vermont Marijuana Registry at the address provided on the form.The Registry will process your application within 30 days after your application is complete. If your application is approved you will be notified in writing and receive a Marijuana Registry Identification Card. If your application is denied you will be notified in writing and be advised of your right to appeal the denial.Registrations are issued for one year and are renewable. A new application packet (forms, fee and photo) must be submitted for each renewal request.

Please Note: VSP stations are not available to take the photograph that will accompany your application. You may get your picture taken anywhere that offers passport photographs or any private individual with a digital camera can take the picture. The file submitted must be in .jpg format.

Is there a cost to register?

Yes.  There is a $50 non-refundable fee for each application. There are no provisions to waive the fee, pay the fee in installments, or pay the fee with a credit card. The fee must accompany each new or renewal application. The fee must be paid by check or money order. Checks or money orders should be made out to the Vermont Department of Public Safety. Please note that the fee will not be returned in the event that your application is denied.

Can I get financial assistance with the registration fee?

Not that we are aware of but you can always check with your health care provider or on the internet to determine availability and options.

Is my information kept confidential?

Yes with specific exceptions.  The Department of Public Safety must keep confidential the records of all persons registered with the Registry. An exception to this confidentiality policy is that law enforcement has the authority to verify whether or not a person is a registered patient or caregiver. Queries by law enforcement are only authorized in connection with a specific criminal drug investigation.

How can usable marijuana, marijuana plants, or marijuana seeds be obtained?

The Marijuana Registry is neither a source for marijuana nor can the Registry provide information to patients on how to obtain marijuana.

Are there possession limits for marijuana and marijuana plants authorized by law?

Yes.  “Possession limit” means the amount of marijuana collectively possessed between the registered patient and the patient’s registered caregiver. 18 V.S.A. Chapter 86 specifies the possession limit to be no more than two mature marijuana plants, seven immature plants, and two ounces of usable marijuana.A marijuana plant shall be considered mature when male or female flower buds are readily observed on the plant by unaided visual examination. Until this sexual differentiation has taken place, a marijuana plant will be considered immature.

Are there restrictions on growing marijuana In compliance with Title 18 V.S.A. Chapter 86 for patients and registered caregivers?

Yes.  Title 18 V.S.A. Chapter 86 specifies that the marijuana possession limit be no more than two mature marijuana plants and seven immature plants. You may only grow marijuana in a single “secure indoor facility.” A “secure indoor facility” means a building or room equipped with locks or other security devices that permit access only by the registered patient or registered caregiver. The location of the “secure indoor facility” must be specified in your Marijuana Registry application.

Are there restrictions on the use of medical marijuana?

Yes.  You may only legally use marijuana for purposes of symptom relief within the state of Vermont. You may not use marijuana in public, while operating a motorized vehicle, in a workplace, while operating heavy machinery or handling a dangerous instrumentality or in a manner that endangers the health or well-being of another person.

Are there restriction on the legal transport of marijuana?

Yes.  Marijuana may be trasported only in Vermont. The transportation of marijuana is subject to the possession limit discussed above and may only be done if the marijuana is secured in a locked container.

Are any forms required for registration?

Yes.  In addition to the appropriate Health Care Provider or Registered Caregiver Application the individual needs to provide the Registered Patient application form that is available from the below link: 

Click here to download the Registered Patient Application Form - Adobe Acrobat format (.pdf)