WHO WILL BE ON THE SEX OFFENDER REGISTRY WEB SITE?
Beginning in October 1, 2009, registry information for persons meeting any of the following criteria will be available on the Vermont Sex Offender Registry Web Site:
- Aggravated sexual assault of a child
- Aggravated sexual assault
- Sexual assault
- Kidnapping with intent to commit sexual assault
- Lewd or lascivious conduct with a child
- Second or subsequent conviction for voyeurism
- Slave traffic
- Sex trafficking of children or sex trafficking by force, fraud, or coercion
- Sexual exploitation of a minor
- Any offense regarding the sexual exploitation of children
- Certain federal sex crimes
- A second or subsequent conviction for sexual offenses (recidivism).
- Individuals with an outstanding warrant for their arrest for a Registry violation.
- Individuals who have been designated as sexual predators.
- Individuals who have been designated "high risk offenders" by the Department of Corrections.
- Individuals who have not complied with or are ineligible for sex offender treatment as recommended by the Department of Corrections.
Internet posting based solely on the offense for which the person was convicted applies to persons who were:
- convicted on or after July 1, 2009;
- convicted prior to July 1, 2009 and under the supervision of the Department of Corrections (DOC) unless the Sex Offender Review Committee determined that the person has successfully reintegrated into the community;
- convicted prior to July 1, 2009 and not under the supervision of the Department of Corrections (DOC) unless the Sex Offender Review Committee determined that the person has successfully reintegrated into the community.
- Persons who were convicted out-of-state are not posted to the internet based solely on the offense for which they were convicted.
WHAT INFORMATION WILL BE POSTED ON THE WEB SITE?
The following registrant information will be posted to the Vermont Sex Offender Registry intenet site:
- Name and any known aliases
- Date of birth
- General physical description
- Digital photograph
- Town of residence
- Date and nature of conviction
- Name and telephone number of the local Department of Corrections office in charge of supervising the registrant.
- Whether or not the registrant has completed treatment
- Whether or not there is an outstanding warrant for the offender’s arrest
- The reason for which the offender’s registry information is accessible on the web site.
- Whether the offender has been designated "high risk" by the Department of Corrections.
- If the offender has not been subject to a risk assessment, a statement that the offender has not been so assessed and that such a person is presumed to be high risk.
The Treatment Status field for some registrants indicates "Not Applicable". In these cases the registrant was discharged from the supervision of the Department of Corrections prior to the time when treatment information was required.
Challanging the posting of your record to the internet:
An individual who believes that they are not required to have their information posted on the Vermont Sex Offender Registry web site, or who believes the information on the web site contains errors, may challenge their status by contacting the Director of the Vermont Criminal Information Center in writing clearly identifying themselves, the information in question and the reason the information is in error. The Director, or a designee, will investigate and resolve the alleged discrepancy within three (3) business days of receipt of the complaint.
Searching The Web Site
The public can search the web site by using either the registrant’s name, town, or entering a county.