Skip to main content

An Official Vermont Government Website

Vermont State Logo

Caregiver Information

Becoming A Registered Caregiver

To register as a caregiver an applicant must be at least 21 years of age, has met the eligibility requirements, and has agreed to undertake responsibility for managing the well-being of a registered patient with respect to the use of marijuana for symptom relief. To apply as a registered caregiver an individual must complete the application form for a registered caregiver.  If a patient applicant wishes to designate a caregiver, the caregiver applicant must complete the applicable pages of the Patient Registration Packet. If a currently registered patient wishes to designate a caregiver, at a separate time than when he or she registered as a patient, the caregiver applicant must complete the Registered Caregiver Application.

Responsibilities Of A Registered Caregiver

A registered caregiver agrees to undertake the responsibility of managing the well-being of a registered patient with respect to the use of marijuana for symptom relief. A registered caregiver is allowed to assist a registered patient with the cultivation of marijuana. Additionally, a registered caregiver may purchase marijuana for their registered patient from their designated dispensary.

What are the fees?

There is a $50 non-refundable fee for each application for a registry identification card. The fee must accompany each initial and renewal application. Checks and money orders must be made out to the Department of Public Safety and dated. Please note that the fee will not be returned in the event that your application is denied.

There is a $25 processing fee for reissuing a lost or stolen registry identification. The fee must accompany a Change of Information form.

What are the photo requirements?

Initial applicants MUST submit a digital photo. Renewal applicants only need to submit a photo if his or her appearance has significantly changed.
The photo must be: 
  • In color
  • Reflect your current appearance (taken within the last 6 months)
  • A clear image of ONLY you (not blurry, grainy, or fuzzy)
  • Full face-and-shoulder shot, squarely facing the camera (no sunglasses)
Additional Tips 
  • Do not scan your driver's license or another photo ID. The scanned image will not be of high enough quality to meet the requirements. 
  • Do not submit a photo of a photo (just take a photo of yourself). 
Submitting a Photo – To submit a photo, send an email from your computer, cell phone, or mobile device with the following information: 
  • Subject Line: Your first and last name 
  • Include your date of birth with your first and last name in the body of the email
  • Attach your photo 
  • Email Address: 
  • Receipt: A email will be sent by the VMR staff confirming acceptance of your photo. 
If you are unable to email a photo, a photo may be submitted on a CD.

Where can I find the applications/forms for registering or renewing with the VMR?

The applications/forms are located in the Document Library. You may also request a copy of the applications/forms to be mailed by contacting the VMR. The applications/forms are the same for initial and renewal applicants.

Will the VMR remind me when it is time to renew my registry identification card?

No, it is your responsibility to renew annually with the VMR by submitting the required completed applications/forms with a non-refundable $50 fee.

Can I register as a caregiver, if I am a registered patient?

Yes, but you cannot register as your own caregiver. If you are a registered patient without a caregiver you are already serving as your own caregiver and there is not a need to submit another $50 fee. If you are a registered patient, and another registered patient requests your assistance with respect of cultivating or purchasing marijuana from a dispensary, you may apply as a caregiver. The eligibility requirements above still apply.

Is my confidentiality protected?

Yes. All records maintained by the VMR are kept confidential. Limited information or records may be disclosed only in the following circumstances:
  • Pursuant to a court order;
  • With the written permission from the applicant;
  • For prosecution for false swearing under 13 V.S.A. § 2904;
  • To a law enforcement officer or agency for verifying information in response to person-specific or property-specific inquiry made in the course of a bona fide investigation or prosecution; or
  • To a registered patient’s treating or consulting health care professional and to a registered patient’s caregiver.

How much marijuana is a registered patient allowed to possess?

“Possession limit” is defined by Vermont law to mean the amount of marijuana collectively possessed between the registered patient and the patient’s registered caregiver. All registered patients may possess no more than two ounces of usable marijuana, 2 mature marijuana plants, and 7 immature marijuana plants. 
PLEASE NOTE: The possession limit remains the same even if a registered patient registers as a caregiver for another registered patient.

Can I use or possess marijuana in another state?

No, registered patients may only legally use marijuana for purposes of symptom relief within the state of Vermont. The exemption from criminal and civil penalties provided under Vermont law does not extend to violation(s) of other Vermont state laws or to violation(s) of the laws of other states. The production and possession of marijuana remains a violation of federal law. Vermont state law does not provide any protection against a violation of federal law.

Are there any prohibitions regarding my use of marijuana?  

Yes, a registered caregiver is not exempt from arrest or prosecution for:
Being under the influence of marijuana while:
  • operating a motor vehicle, boat, or vessel, or any other vehicle propelled or drawn by power other than muscular power;
  • in a workplace or place of employment; or
  • operating heavy machinery or handling a dangerous instrumentality.
Possessing or cultivating marijuana or marijuana-infused products:
  • for purposes other than symptom relief as permitted by these rules; or
  • in a manner that endangers the health or well-being of another person.
Using, possessing, or cultivating marijuana or marijuana-infused:
  • for purposes other than symptom relief as permitted by these rules; or
  • in a manner that endangers the health or well-being of another person.

Can I or my registered caregiver legally transport marijuana?

Yes, only in Vermont and must be transported of marijuana must be done in a locked container.

Where can I find additional information regarding the Vermont Marijuana Registry?

Please visit the Document Library or contact the VMR for additional information.