Skip to main content

An Official Vermont Government Website

Vermont State Logo

Registering as a Patient

Frequently Asked Questions (Patient)

Who qualifies as a registered patient with the Vermont Marijuana Registry?

To become a registered patient, an applicant must be diagnosed with a qualifying debilitating medical condition and submit a completed Registration Packet. Applicants must have at least a three-month relationship with a qualified health care professional who has completed a full assessment of the applicant's medical history and current medical condition, including a personal physical examination. Applicants must reside in Vermont and have been issued a valid Vermont driver’s license or valid Vermont non-driver ID.

What is a debilitating medical condition?

  • Cancer;
  • Multiple sclerosis;
  • HIV;
  • AIDS;
  • Glaucoma;
  • Crohn’s disease;
  • Parkinson’s disease;
    • Or the treatment of these conditions, if the disease or the treatment results in severe, persistent, and intractable symptoms;
  • PTSD, provided the applicant is undergoing psychotherapy or counseling with a licensed mental health care provider; or 
  • A disease or medical condition or its treatment that is chronic, debilitating, and produces one or more of the following intractable symptoms: cachexia or wasting syndrome; chronic pain; severe nausea; or seizures.

What is a qualified Health Care Professional?

  • Physician (M.D. or D.O.)
  • Physician Assistant (P.A. or PA-C)
  • Naturopathic Physician (N.D.)
  • Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN)

The VMR does not require specialized training for the listed Health Care Professionals to complete the form. A Health Care Professionals must be licensed in Vermont, New Hampshire, New York, or Massachusetts.

Does the Vermont Marijuana Registry have a list of health care professionals who will complete the form?

No, the Registry is not allowed to provide a list of health care professionals due to confidentiality requirements.

What is a licensed mental health care provider?

  • A person licensed to practice medicine who specializes in the practice of psychiatry;
  • A psychologist;
  • A psychologist-doctorate;
  • A psychologist-master;
  • A clinical social worker; or
  • A clinical mental health counselor.

How do I apply for a registry identification card?

Applicants must submit the following items:

  • Completed Registration Packet;
    • Which includes a Registered Patient Application, and Health Care Professional Verification Form 
  • Color electronic photograph of yourself (see requirements below); and 
  • $50 non-refundable fee.
    • Checks and money orders must be made payable to the Department of Public Safety.

*Patients diagnosed with PTSD are also required to submit a completed Mental Health Care Provider Form to the VMR.

Can a patient under the age of 18 apply for a registry identification card?

Yes, a patient under the age of 18 years of age may apply for a registry identification card. In addition to the requirement specified above, under “How do I apply for a registry identification card?” the applications/forms must be signed by both the patient and his or her parent or guardian.

Please Note: A registered patient who is under 18 years of age may have two registered caregivers.

How long will it take to process my application?

The VMR must approve or deny an application in writing within 30 days of receipt of a completed application. If there are any issues regarding the completeness of an application correspondence will be sent requesting the missing item(s). If the application is approved, the VMR will issue the applicant a registry identification card. The registry identification card and/or any other correspondence will be sent to the mailing address provided on the completed application.

What are the photo requirements?

Initial applicants MUST submit a digital photo. Renewal applicants only need to submit a photo if his or her appearance has significantly changed.
The photo must be: 

  • In color
  • Reflect your current appearance (taken within the last 6 months)
  • A clear image of ONLY you (not blurry, grainy, or fuzzy)
  • Full face-and-shoulder shot, squarely facing the camera (no sunglasses)

Additional Tips 

  • Do not scan your driver's license or another photo ID. The scanned image will not be of high enough quality to meet the requirements. 
  • Do not submit a photo of a photo (just take a photo of yourself). 

Submitting a Photo – To submit a photo, send an email from your computer, cell phone, or mobile device with the following information: 

  • Subject Line: Your first and last name 
  • Include your date of birth with your first and last name in the body of the email
  • Attach your photo 
  • Email Address: 
  • Receipt: A email will be sent by the VMR staff confirming acceptance of your photo. 

If you are unable to email a photo, a photo may be submitted on a CD.

What are the fees?

There is a $50 non-refundable fee for each application for a registry identification card. The fee must accompany each initial and renewal application. Checks and money orders must be made out to the Department of Public Safety and dated. Please note that the fee will not be returned in the event that your application is denied.

There is a $25 processing fee for reissuing a lost or stolen registry identification card and for any changes to the information contained on a registry identification card. The fee must accompany a Change of Information form.

Please Note: When an applicant is updating any information or changing his or her designated dispensary at the time of renewal only the $50 non-refundable fee must be submitted.

Where can I find the applications/forms for registering or renewing with the VMR?

The applications/forms are located in the Document Library. You may also request a copy of the applications/forms to be mailed by contacting the VMR. The applications/forms are the same for initial and renewal applicants.

Will the VMR remind me when it is time to renew my registry identification card?

No, it is your responsibility to renew annually with the VMR by submitting the required completed applications/forms with a non-refundable $50 fee.

Please Note: When renewing, all applicants MUST submit a completed Health Care Professional Verification Form.

What is a registered caregiver and am I required to have one?

A registered caregiver is a person who is at least 21 years of age, who has met eligibility requirements determined by the VMR, and who has agreed to undertake responsibility for managing the well-being of a registered patient with respect to the use of marijuana for symptom relief. A registered caregiver shall be a resident of Vermont and shall not be a currently registered patient. 

A patient applying for a registry identification card with the VMR is not required to have a registered caregiver. For additional information related to registered caregivers or registering as a caregiver please refer to the Caregiver Information section.

Please Note: A registered patient who is under 18 years of age may have two registered caregivers.

Can I register as a caregiver, if I am a registered patient?

Yes, but you cannot register as your own caregiver. If you are a registered patient without a caregiver you are already serving as your own caregiver and there is not a need to submit another $50 fee. If you are a registered patient, and another registered patient requests your assistance with respect of cultivating or purchasing marijuana from a dispensary, you may apply as a caregiver. The eligibility requirements above still apply.

Is my confidentiality protected?

Yes. All records maintained by the VMR are kept confidential. Limited information or records may be disclosed only in the following circumstances:

  • Pursuant to a court order;
  • With the written permission from the applicant;
  • For prosecution for false swearing under 13 V.S.A. § 2904;
  • To a law enforcement officer or agency for verifying information in response to person-specific or property-specific inquiry made in the course of a bona fide investigation or prosecution; or
  • To a registered patient’s treating or consulting health care professional and to a registered patient’s caregiver.

Can I purchase usable marijuana from a registered dispensary and cultivate marijuana?

Yes, a registered patient may obtain marijuana from the patient's designated dispensary cultivate marijuana. A registered patient may designate only one dispensary. If a registered patient designates a dispensary, his or her caregiver may only schedule appointments at his or her registered patient’s designated dispensary.

Where can I find information about the dispensaries and their locations?

Information about the dispensaries can be found in the Document Library under Dispensary Selection Information. You may also request a copy of this document be mailed to you by contacting the VMR. 

How do I change my designated dispensary?

A registered patient who wishes to change his or her designated dispensary must complete a Change of Information form and submit a $25 fee. The VMR will issue a new registry identification card within 30 days of receiving the Change of Information form and $25 fee. A registered patient may only change his or her designated dispensary once in any 30-day period.

Can my registered caregiver and I designate a different dispensary?

No, a registered caregiver does not designate a dispensary. The registered patient determines his or her designated dispensary.

Can I purchase clones or seeds from a registered dispensary?

Yes, you may purchase clones or seeds from your designated dispensary.

Please note: Registered dispensaries have the option to sell clones and seeds.

How much marijuana is a registered patient allowed to possess?

“Possession limit” is defined by Vermont law to mean the amount of marijuana collectively possessed between the registered patient and the patient’s registered caregiver. All registered patients may possess no more than two ounces of usable marijuana, 2 mature marijuana plants, and 7 immature marijuana plants. 

PLEASE NOTE: The possession limit remains the same even if a registered patient registers as a caregiver for another registered patient. 


If I decide to cultivate marijuana as a registered patient what are the requirements?             

A registered patient who elects to cultivate marijuana to be used for symptom relief may only do so in a single secure indoor facility. A single secure indoor facility must be a room or building equipped with locks or other security devices that only permits access to the registered patient and his or her registered caregiver. The location of the single secure indoor facility must be specified on the patient’s application or submitted in writing to the VMR. A registered patient may us the Change of Information Form to submit the location of his or her single secure indoor facility.

Can I use or possess marijuana in another state?

No, registered patients may only legally use marijuana for purposes of symptom relief within the state of Vermont. The exemption from criminal and civil penalties provided under Vermont law does not extend to violation(s) of other Vermont state laws or to violation(s) of the laws of other states. The production and possession of marijuana remains a violation of federal law. Vermont state law does not provide any protection against a violation of federal law.

Are there any prohibitions regarding my use of marijuana?  

Yes, a registered patient is not exempt from arrest or prosecution for:

Being under the influence of marijuana while:

  • operating a motor vehicle, boat, or vessel, or any other vehicle propelled or drawn by power other than muscular power;
  • in a workplace or place of employment; or
  • operating heavy machinery or handling a dangerous instrumentality.

Possessing or cultivating marijuana or marijuana-infused products:

  • for purposes other than symptom relief as permitted by these rules; or
  • in a manner that endangers the health or well-being of another person.

Using, possessing, or cultivating marijuana or marijuana-infused:

  • for purposes other than symptom relief as permitted by these rules; or
  • in a manner that endangers the health or well-being of another person.

Are there any restrictions regarding my use of marijuana?

Yes, a registered patient may not smoke marijuana in any public place, including but not limited to:

  • a school bus, public bus, or other public vehicle;
  • a workplace or place of employment;
  • any school grounds;
  • any correctional facility;  
  • any public park, public beach, public recreation center, or youth center.

Does insurance pay for marijuana purchased from a registered dispensary?

No, coverage and/or reimbursement of marijuana for symptom relief is not required by a health insurer; insurance company; Medicaid or any other public health care assistance program; an employer; or worker’s compensation.   

Can I or my registered caregiver legally transport marijuana?

Yes, only in Vermont and must be transported of marijuana must be done in a locked container.

Where can I get further information regarding the Vermont Marijuana Registry?

Please visit the Document Library or contact the VMR for additional information.