Frequently Asked Questions

How long has Vermont had a Registry for sex offenders?

The Vermont Legislature passed the original law that went into effect July 1, 1996. Since then, a number of changes have been made to the original statute. Click here for the current statutes.

Who must register?

  • A person convicted in VT on or after July 1, 1996
  • A person convicted prior to July 1, 1996 but incarcerated or supervised by the Department of Corrections on or after July 1, 1996
  • Convicted or released from confinement in another state on or after July 1, 1986 and who established residency on or after July 1, 1996. * For purposes of the Registry, a person is considered to have established a residence in VT if they remain in the state for more than 10 consecutive days.
  • Statutory list of State and Federal crimes requiring registration in Vermont

What requirements are there for sex offenders in Vermont?

  • Registrants that are being supervised by the Department of Corrections must notify their Probation Officers immediately of any change to any of their information.
  • Registrants no longer being supervised for a sex offense must notify the Registry within 3 days of any change to any of their information.
  • Registrants must verify their information and provide a new photograph annually.

What are the penalties for registry violations?

Registrants who knowingly violate the Vermont sex offender registry law for may face a felony charge that can include incarceration for a period of up to five years and/or a fine of $5000.00.

What are the requirements for offenders from other states that move to Vermont?

Individuals who are required to register in another state, jurisdiction or territory must register with Vermont within 10 days of establishing residency. Click here for Registration forms.

What restrictions are placed on registered sex offenders in Vermont?

Once an offender has finished their supervision with the Dept of Corrections, the VT Sex Offender Registry law places no restrictions on the registrant.

If I believe an offender has failed to comply with his or her requirements, who should I call?

You may contact your nearest Law Enforcement agency or the VT Sex Offender Registry.

Do I have to rent an apartment or can I refuse employment to a registered sex offender?

Vermont sex offender registry law does not place any restrictions on housing or employment for registrants.

Do registrants have to disclose to neighbors or employers that they are sex offenders?

There is no provision in the law that requires them to do so.

What information is available on Vermont’s Sex Offender Internet site?

  • Name and any known aliases
  • Date of birth
  • General physical description
  • Digital photograph
  • Town of residence
  • Date and nature of conviction
  • Name and telephone number of the local Department of Corrections office in charge of supervising the registrant.
  • Whether or not the registrant has completed treatment
  • Whether or not there is an outstanding warrant for the offender’s arrest
  • The reason for which the offender’s registry information is accessible on the web site.
  • Whether the offender has been designated "high risk" by the Department of Corrections.
  • If the offender has not been subject to a risk assessment, a statement that the offender has not been so assessed and that such a person is unrated and presumed to be high risk.

How do I get more information regarding the Vermont Sex Offender Registry?

Call the Vermont Sex Offender Regsitry information line at (802) 241-5400.

Contact Information

Vermont Sex Offender Registry
45 State Drive
Waterbury,  VT  05671-1300
Tel: 802.241.5400
Fax: 802.241.5552