Out of State Registrants

Information for Out of State Registrants

Who must register?

If you have been convicted of a sexual offense in another state, territory or jurisdiction or a federal conviction in federal court that requires registration as a sex offender, then you will be required to register in Vermont.
You must register within 10 days of establishing residency. Residency is defined as being in Vermont for at least 10 consecutive days.

Where do I register?

You may print the registration forms at the bottom of the page, complete them and mail them in or call the Registry at 802-241-5400 and the forms will be mailed to you. You will need to report to the nearest Vermont State Police barracks to be fingerprinted and photographed. The officers will send the photograph & fingerprints to the Registry. You must mail the registration forms to:

Vermont Sex Offender Registry
45 State Drive
Waterbury, VT 05671

How long does a sex offender have to register?

An offender will be required to register in VT for 10 years after the discharge from supervision or completion of sentence, whichever is later. That date will be determined upon review of your conviction information. You may required to register in VT for life if there are multiple conviction dates for sex offenses.

Who is posted on the internet web site?

  • A second or subsequent conviction for sexual offenses (recidivism)
  • Individuals with an outstanding warrant for their arrest for a registry violation
  • Felony convictions
  • Misdemeanor convictions punishable by 6 months or more in jail
  • Registrants who were required to have their information posted on the state of convictions web site

What information will be posted on the web site?

  • Name and any known aliases
  • Date of birth
  • General physical description
  • Digital photograph
  • Town of residence
  • Date and nature of conviction
  • The offenders complete address IF:
    • There is an active warrant for the offenders arrest
    • The state of conviction required the offender be posted on their web site with the address.
    • If the victim was a child under 13 years old

Am I required to notify my neighbors and/or employer that I am required to register as a sex offender?


Does the Registry put any restrictions on where I live or work?


What are the requirements for the Vermont registry?

Registrants must inform the registry within 3 days of any change to any of their information including address, employment, school, if there is someone under 18 living in the household, telephone number.
Registrant must also verify their information and provide a new photograph every year around the time of their birthdates.

Can I change or update my information with the local Police or Sheriffs Department or State Police barracks?

No. You must contact the Registry if any of your information changes. You may call the Registry at 802-241-5400.

What can a Registrant do if they do not have a risk assessment?

20 V.S.A., Section 5411a (b)(12) specifies that:

  • If the offender has not been subject to a risk assessment, a statement that the offender has not been so assessed and that such a person is presumed to be high risk, provided that the department shall permit a person subject to this subdivision to obtain a risk assessment at the person’s own expense.

SOR registrants who are interested in obtaining information on how to obtain a risk assessment at their own expense should follow the below link:

Visit the Department of Correction Risk Assessment Information Page.

Are there any forms required?

Yes.  Download the Notification of Requirement to Register Form for Registrants Convicted in a State or Jurisdiction other than Vermont.

Contact Information

Vermont Sex Offender Registry
45 State Drive
Waterbury,  VT  05671-1300
Tel: 802.241.5400
Fax: 802.241.5552
Email: DPS.SOR@vermont.gov