Skip to main content

Record Appeal Process


VCIC is committed to the mission of providing accurate, complete and timely records to agencies and individuals who are authorized to receive them pursuant to various public safety interests..

While the records in the Vermont Criminal History Repository reflect an accuracy rate of greater than 99% VCIC recognizes that errors occur and as a result an appeal process is in place for criminal history records that an individual has reason to believe may be in error.  

Individuals who dispute the accuracy of their Criminal Record may appeal their criminal history record. A person may only dispute the accuracy of their own criminal history record.

Record Appeal Request

Any official record appeal must be made in writing and addressed to the Director of the Vermont Criminal Information Center.  In the written record appeal an individual needs to include their full name, date of birth, and any other identifying information pertinent to the record appeal. The specifics of what information on the record is being appealed needs to be clearly provided and would include such things as the charge being contested, charge date and/or docket number.  The reason(s) that the information is believed to be in error needs to be clearly outlined in the appeal letter. Be sure to include contact information so VCIC can contact you if more information or clarification is required. 

Record Appeal Process

  • Upon receipt of a record appeal request VCIC will review the request, obtain additional information if necessary, and will then investigate the record(s) of concern.  VCIC will respond to the appeal request within three business days.
  • If VCIC finds the record is accurate, it will be maintained in its original form. VCIC will notify the individual of record once the decision has been made.
  • If VCIC finds any part of the record to be in error pursuant to the records appeal then the record in question will be changed to reflect the correct information. VCIC will notify the individual of record once the change has been made to their record.

Record Appeal Submission

Send all criminal history record appeal requests in writing to:

Vermont Crime Information Center
Attn: Director, VCIC
45 State Drive
Waterbury,  VT  05671-1300